Out with the old, in with the new

I left my extremely stressful job last week and started a new one Monday. I don’t have a lot of time for detail this morning (groceries to buy, lawn to mow, fall flowers to plant, football to watch, etc.) but did want to update those of you who still check my blog occasionally.

I don’t want to disparage my former employer, so I won’t mention the name, but just let me say that my new company is a breath of fresh air. Or maybe I should say I can actually breathe at my new job – and take lunch breaks, and go home after eight hours. I loved the people I worked with at the other place, and the new job is somewhat a career switch (going from publishing to investments), but the new company is an extremely efficient, well-organized place to work. They seem to know what they’re doing.

The main thing is that I want to serve people by helping them with their finances (and I want to work at a place that doesn’t cause me insomnia).

I have been a volunteer with Crown Financial Ministries for the past few years, and that’s a little different from what the investment firm does, and yet the same. It all boils down to being good stewards of what God has entrusted to us.

So here’s to my new employer and 40-hour weeks!

6 thoughts on “Out with the old, in with the new

• Saturday, October 18, 2008 at 9:45 am

A 40-hour week? Girl, you won’t know what to do with yourself!

As the person who brought you in to the previous, stressful job, I regret that it caused you such discomfort but I don’t regret hiring you — you’re an incredible editor and did wonders for our product. At the same time, I understand all the reasons that caused you to look for another option. After all, I left before you did….

Enjoy those short, 8-hour days!

• Saturday, October 18, 2008 at 12:33 pm

Congrats!! You have enough stress without that too.

• Sunday, October 19, 2008 at 9:17 pm

Congrats! The pace of a regular job is so much different than working where you were. You’ll have so much time to yourself, you won’t know what to do!

• Monday, October 20, 2008 at 7:57 pm

Whhoooo hooo. Time to celebrate. My job is looking MUCH better too. I have a new supervisor, different responsibilities, but basically same job. Feels like a boulder has been lifted, huh?

Congrats. Hope you’re feeling better.

• Wednesday, October 22, 2008 at 10:52 am

congratulations! i’m so happy for you…

• Friday, October 24, 2008 at 4:24 am

So, from all the news that’s fit to print, to time is money—and less stress—and more sleep—and a happier family—and more baking—and flowers—and a manicured lawn—and smiles, sparkle in the eye, respect—–

Too bad for the readers of NLR that will not have the benefit of your talents, but at least you suffered long enough for me to learn from a master—unlike too many at that place who didn’t show the capacity to recognize what you brought to the table of communication.

Happy days