50 years ago today

Dort and Ben, Christmas 1960
Dort and Ben, Christmas 1960

Benny Lee Taylor and Dorothy Jean Taylor were married Nov. 7, 1958, at Unity Baptist Church in Little Rock, Ark.

Yes, Taylor was my mom’s maiden name. No relation, so save all those jokes some of you are thinking up right now (you know who you are).

But in the spirit of levity, I’m using this photo from Christmas 1960 because I couldn’t find the wedding picture that I thought I had. I’ll post that pic later. These big events sometimes sneak up on me.

Yes, I realize that Dad has been gone for nearly 11 years, but these things are worth marking, don’t you think? Even 39 years is a huge deal nowadays for a couple. Besides that, you wouldn’t be reading this blog if not for that event so long ago.

Hooray for Ben and Dort! And, Mom, have a day filled with wonderful memories.

5 thoughts on “50 years ago today

• Friday, November 7, 2008 at 8:32 am

And for those of us who haven’t had the pleasure, Ben and Dort are…?

• Friday, November 7, 2008 at 8:59 am

What a sweet picture. Gee, Suzy, you look like your mom AND your dad.

I should post a more recent picture of Mom. I used to look more like Dad, but the older I get, the more I look like her. – Suz

• Friday, November 7, 2008 at 9:16 am

that picture is PRICELESS…

• Friday, November 7, 2008 at 12:50 pm

Peregrine: Ben and Dort are Benny Lee and Dorothy Jean Taylor, the fine role models for Suzy and me appearing in the Christmas picture above. You have had the pleasure, through memories in this blog and through dealings with their darling daughter. Roses by any other name …

• Monday, November 17, 2008 at 8:04 pm

They are so goofy. If it weren’t for that nasty cig hanging out of his mouth, he would just about be perfect, huh? And, of course, aunt d must be gorgeous since my grandma always says I look like her.
    Love you.