1 pound less

I made it through Day 2 of accountabilitiness.

When I got home from the running clinic tonight, I weighed myself because I worked hard this evening! (Heck, I worked hard today on not eating junk despite being hungry much of the day.) Tonight I weighed a pound less than I did this morning!

I realize that weighing yourself every day has its disadvantages. Lots of factors contribute to the number on the scale (water weight, muscle being heavier than fat, El Nino). I don’t want to obsess about the numbers, but for now it is what is going to keep me on track. Once I see the number going down and staying down consistently, I’ll stop talking about it so often (but probably won’t stop doing it every day). And eventually you will see me blogging about our society’s obsession with weight and thinness. But right now I gotta focus on my immediate problem, which is to get my food obsession under control.

In our Biggest Loser competition at work, tomorrow is a “percentage weigh-in.” I know my percentages aren’t that great right now, but going forward that is going to change!

This weekend is going to be a challenge, because Saturday is when I should be going to the grocery store (after spending some time figuring out the right filling foods to buy). The weekend is going to be very busy, so the salad veggies in my fridge may have to get me through.

Fridays are Indulge Day. I stop by McDonald’s, say hi to the table of middle-age men I see every Friday at McDonald’s (some of whom I work with), get on to work, weigh in, and then eat my fattening breakfast. Jury’s still out on whether I will continue this practice under the new regime. We’ll see how much flexibility my new Taskmaster (me) allows in my diet (I use the word diet not as in Die with a T but as any non-obsessive person with a healthy attitude toward food would use it: the stuff you eat every day).

Diet has always been the hard part of the equation for me. Exercise, while not exactly my favorite pastime, is easier and more fun than changing what I eat. (I like to eat. In case you hadn’t figured that out.)

I had low-fat frozen yogurt for dinner tonight (while writing this post and editing a post for the church blog). Tomorrow morning we’ll see what that did to my one-pound-less success story. I’ll let ya know tomorrow night.

P.S. Bruce has committed to writing about running in his blog, to help those of us who need encouragement and tips from an experienced runner. He wrote the first running-related post today.

Please post a comment telling me your favorite healthful, filling food.

10 thoughts on “1 pound less

• Friday, April 8, 2011 at 6:33 am

“not as in Die with a T” Maybe we could replace the word
    diet with liveit. I know, you are not into made up words, but that’s a good one. That’s what it takes. Success requires that we live it every day. I am not even suggesting that I do, just that I know I should.

• Friday, April 8, 2011 at 6:47 am

I’m not into made-up words – did you notice “accountabilitiness”? I actually deleted the tongue-in-cheek parenthetical phrase I had written after that (that it really is a word, and you could find it on Page 2 of the Suzy Dictionary of Made-up Words, copyright 2011).

But I know what you mean – I like silly made-up words but not the kind that marketers use to suck people in, or words used incorrectly and become trendy (someday I’ll write an entire post about that).

But when you’re trying to come up with words that help you live a better life, I think that’s okay. If a word works for you, use it! And I do like your suggestion for LiveIt! I’m going to write it on a sticky and put it on my bathroom mirror – maybe even carry it in my pocket.

• Friday, April 8, 2011 at 6:51 am

By the way, I was another pound lighter this morning. I’ve gone under the 200 mark!

• Friday, April 8, 2011 at 11:30 am

Brenda, disregard what I said to you on FB at 7:15 this morning about comments. Apparently that method will only put the blog or comments in your toolbar but NOT notify you of follow-up comments. I’ll have to figure out if there’s a way to do that on this site. Or I’ll make Bruce do it. 🙂

• Friday, April 8, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Yes ma’am. Comment notification plug-in to be activated soon.

• Saturday, April 16, 2011 at 1:14 pm

This is not a made up word. Do you know what it means?
    Macroverbumsciolist

• Saturday, April 16, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Why, of course I know the meaning of that word! It means “one who acts and pretends as if he/she knows a word but then looks it up clandestinely in a dictionary.”

Not that I had to Google it or anything. 🙂

• Monday, April 18, 2011 at 7:43 am

But at least you didn’t pretend. I bet you know the guy who sent me on the chase to discover the meaning of that word. Michael Storey, in his book “Happy Trails”.

• Tuesday, April 19, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Yeah, as you probably know, Michael is our former co-worker at the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette. He’s actually the one who came up with the concept of humidity pods several years ago (where I took my idea for “insanity pods” in my April 14 post). I believe the humidity pods first appeared in Michael’s “Otus the Head Cat” column. People actually thought he was serious. Ever since then, I have complained about the “humidity pods” over Arkansas.

• Wednesday, April 20, 2011 at 8:40 am

Well, what a coincidence. Yes, I knew you had worked with him, but not that you had been alluding to his idea.

Comments are closed.